Kariokor leather cluster is the biggest producer of leather products by MSMEs in the Country and in the Eastern African region. It has also been noted that despite the huge volumes of leather products produced in the cluster, these products face market challenges due to poor quality.
To address these challenges and transform the cluster into MSME leather manufacturing hub in the region, a common manufacturing facility is needed to facilitate them to improve quality and competitiveness of their products. The facility will provide the MSMEs with modern production technology at an affordable cost as well as upgrade their technical skills. The establishment of a common manufacturing facility will be among the key interventions in the leather sector under the manufacturing component in the ‘Big Four’ development agenda. The project aims to transform the Kariokor leather products manufacturing cluster into a competitive manufacturing hub that produces high volumes of good quality leather products for the local and regional markets.
The specific objectives of the project include
- To improve the quality of the manufactured leather products
- To increase the volume of locally manufactured footwear and thereby reduce the country’s dependence on imports.
- Create a pool of skilled manpower for supporting the leather industry’s development
- To create employment opportunities through creating sustainable jobs.
- Broaden the Clusters product base for enhanced earnings.
To brand Kenyan footwear especially for the local and regional market.
The project was initiated in FY 2015/2016 with the Kenya Leather Development Council providing the technical services and the Nairobi County Government by providing space to host the facility.
The project will have the following components:
- Installation of the procured machines
- Pneumatic pressure distribution
- Dust collection and disposal system
- Skills development:
- Machine operators
- Product development and branding
The project is ongoing with machines already procured and the Nairobi County Government currently building the industrial warehouse to house the machines.